Friday, June 13, 2014

Old Keyboard PS2 to USB

This is the old keyboard I found in the garage. It was a PS2 and I wanted to use it as a USB keyboard to plug into my laptop at home. I've been using it for about two weeks and all is going well. I thought about just ordering another keyboard until I seen how much they go for these days. So I'm really glad I got the adapter.

The keyboard in the picture is probably close to 20 years old. It's a Microsoft keyboard , running on my Fedora machine. The windows keys are now used for foreign language accents like í ñ ö and making symbols.

Microsoft ps2 keyboard now being plugged into my usb port on my linux laptop.

I got to know a guy at one of the local mega mart computer stores. They had a close-out bin in the back of the store of returned and damaged merchandise. The guy at the store would call when there was anything good in there. Hard drives, keyboards, ports, cables, you never really knew what you would find in there. At one time I had enough extra parts to build a computer from extra parts.  I originally purchased this keyboard for $5.00 similiar keyboards on Amazon are like $50.00 + dollars now. Here's one on Amazon for $255.00 Microsoft Natural Keyboard It's pretty close to what I'm using. Twenty years later its still going strong.

I hate people using my computer so the keyboard was painted making it unusable to anyone that didn't know how to type. I hate telling people no, so when people asked, "Can I check my email real quick?" I'd say sure, and 9 out of 10 times they would take one look at the keyboard and say "Never mind, I'll do it when I get home." No more downloaded email virii from friends email attachements !

Anyway, I was bored, felt like doing a quick post, and that's the history of the microsoft ps2 keyboard now being used as USB on my Linux machine.

No comments:

Post a Comment