Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Cooking With KDE - Krecipes software review.

Like to cook ? Use KDE ? This a great application and way to keep all your recipes organized and in one place.

Taken from Productivity Monday, daily package Fedora book.

Krecipes is a KDE recipe manager. It will store, search for, and re-size recipes, rate their nutritional content, and manage shopping lists. Recipes can be stored in plan files for personal access, or in MySQL or PostgreSQL databases for shared access (or very large recipe collections). You can select recipes based on nutritional requirements or ingredients-on-hand, and you can also generate a shopping list from a group of recipes with items added or removed to suit your needs.

This is a really great GUI program to store all your recipes in one place. The program sorts everything for you, placing recipes in different categories like pasta, desserts, meat, main course, etc, etc. and even has a little thumbnail picture of what you will be cooking. If you download the U.S.D.A. nutritional database, it even breaks down all the nutritional facts of the dish your cooking, how much fat, amount of sodium, calories, and more. I thought this program was great, and here's my review.

So I downloaded the program using yum install krecipes. At the time of this writing the program was krecipes-1.0-0.2.beta2. I was a bit hesitant with it being beta but went ahead with the install anyway. Yum, found all the dependencies, downloaded the program, and installed everything with no problems. I went to application launcher and found the program in the utilities menu, click the icon and the program asked if I wanted to install the U.S.D.A. nutritional database. Why not, I clicked yes, a small progress window popped up and it took about 20 - 25 minutes for krecipes to download and configure everything. I was at work, and my work connection is pretty fast, so if you have a slow connection, this part of the install might take some time. Just a heads up on that. I have to say though, it was really worth the wait. When you get done entering the recipe, and view it in the program, Krecipes shows you the nutritional value of what you will be consuming. I thought this was a really great feature, and perfect if you're cooking for a diabetic, or someone who has to keep track of their salt and fat intake, or a calorie counter.

Entering the recipe couldn't of been easier. Everything's point and click and very easy to follow. Simply click on File, New Recipe, and a window pops up with some tabs for each category like, title, ingredients, instructions, and there's even a tab to rate it. There's even a place to add a thumbnail image of the dish you're cooking.

All the information is stored in a sqlite3 database, and if you're like me and backup everything, just click, Settings, Configure Krecipes, and there's a link to the database file. I uploaded mine to my cloud backup, and also added it to my backup files on my portable drive. Everything about this program was very easy to use. The only thing I configured myself was adding another folder in the program directory to store the thumbnail images, and that really isn't necessary but I'm a bit anal and like to keep things all in one place. You could just make a folder in your pictures directory and name it food thumbs or whatever.

All in all I thought this was a really great program. I cook for someone who has some health issues and the nutritional database is really helpful. I just can't say enough good things about this program. It was easy to install, easy to use, and if you cook and keep recipes on your computer, I strongly suggest downloading this program and giving it a try. I give this program five out of five penguins !

Find out more here, and the program is also available at sourceforge.com here.

No comments:

Post a Comment