Monday, April 1, 2013

tcsd.service loaded failed - LSB: Init script for TCSD

When going through system logs, or maybe checking on your services you may have come across this error. tcsd.service loaded failed I found it checking on my services when my P.C. was acting a little funny. I looked for a little information on the problem, and most people said disable the service or remove the associated package. I wanted to know why, what it does, and why it was failing and here's what I found out.

What it is . Taken from an IBM site. TrouSerS is an open source Trusted Computing Group Software Stack (TSS) that is released under the Common Public License. TrouSerS aims to be compliant with 1.1b and 1.2 TSS specifications, which are available from the Trusted Computing Group (TCG) website at http://www.trustedcomputinggroup.org.

Now TrouSerS works with a TPM chip. TPM stands for Trusted Platform Module. Here's a wiki on TPM. If you don't have a Trusted Platform Module chip, my understanding is that the TCSD service will look for the chip, not find it and fail. Using systemd-analyze and a tutorial found here for optimizing Fedora boot time we get an error like this:

tcsd.service - LSB: Init script for TCSD
Loaded: loaded (/etc/rc.d/init.d/tcsd)
Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Mon, 01 Apr 2013 19:38:48 -0400; 11min ago
Process: 1406 ExecStart=/etc/rc.d/init.d/tcsd start (code=exited, status=137)
CGroup: name=systemd:/system/tcsd.service

I typed this command as root:
/usr/sbin/tcsd -f
and received this output :
TCSD TDDL ERROR: Could not find a device to open!

I then did some research on Google to see if my laptop came with this TPM chip. I discovered my model didn't come with a TPM chip and decided to remove the Trousers package. In Fedora using KDE konsole I typed "yum erase trousers" , yum removed the package, I then rebooted the computer and no more problem. Another alternative would be to type as root "systemctl disable tcsd.service". This will disable the service and prevent it from showing up in your logs.

The TPM concept seems like a great idea, if I had the chip I think I would of opted to fix the problem. Unfortunately my research only went as far as fixing my machine. I may do some further research on this chip and get this option on my next computer build or laptop order.

No comments:

Post a Comment