Sunday, January 25, 2015

A Monthly Update 5 Months Late

Wow, I can't believe I haven't posted here for a little over 5 months. That's just too long. Anyway, things are going great, still using Linux full time and loving it.

Last night I crashed my Fedora trying to install Pipelight so I could try to watch an Amazon movie. I wasn't overly crazy about installing it in the first place. It needs Wine to run, and I really didn't want that in my computer. From what I understand Wine can make you computer vulnerable to many of the same vulnerabilities Windows has. NO THANKSi!

So I screwed up while installing it, the system crashed and ... I decided to try a new distro ! I think a little  over two years on the same distro is enough and I wanted to try something new. I am now a proud openSUSE user.

I installed the openSUSE 13.2 and the install went really smoothly. As usual the broadcom drivers were a bit of a pain the ass but after doing it a few times now, I got it configured fairly quickly. I found this tutorial here, and I had no problems at all. https://forums.opensuse.org/content.php/157-Broadcom-firmware-is-needed-for-b43-but-I-have-no-network-an-easierwork-around

After that, I spent the day doing a little system hardening and removing things I'm not using like, telnet, cups, and few other programs. I still want to read more about openSUSE and hardening the system. I got use to SElinux and openSUSE uses AParmor <-- might have that spelled wrong, but it's late and I'm tired.

I'm embarrassed to say I never finished the linux course I was taking. I've got a lot of stuff going on here and just haven't had time. There will be more on that in later posts. However, there are a few differences with openSUSE compared to Fedora so I think I'm going to try and finish the course, and I'll be posting here.

So for the monthly update that's five months over due, I plan on posting here more. I'll be posting about openSUSE, and linux related stuff. I'll be finishing that course now to help me get more comfortable with using openSUSE and posting regular updates here.

No comments:

Post a Comment