Thursday, June 27, 2013

Extract rar files with unrar CLI Command Line Interface

Today I came across some rar files. For the most part .rar files are just like compressed files comparable to a zip file. I didn't really know what to do with them in Linux, the file was associated with ark, but that didn't seem to work for them. I found a CLI that worked great called unrar.

Most Linux distros have this program available. Using Fedora with KDE I opened Konsole my terminal of choice, and did yum search unrar. Yum found the program and in my case I selected yum install unrar.x86_64 based on my system requirements. Yum installed the program for me with no problems. This is a very light program and I should of noted the file size for this post, but I didn't. It's a small program, that packs a great punch.

Using the program couldn't of been easier. In my terminal program I simply went to the directory where I downloaded the rar files, in my case it was cd Downloads/rar_files I then typed unrar x filename.rar and unrar uncompressed the files for me. The x option is for extracting the files. That's all there was to it. That will make the program work.

The man pages for the program are informative and have all the options and switches needed to operate the program successfully. Unrar is a really easy to use CLI command line interface for extracting rar files.

No comments:

Post a Comment