Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Gedit, This Blows Away The Microsoft Comparable Product.

I'm such a nerd. Of all the things to get excited about with Linux, this is the one program that I personally feel is incredible. Gedit ! This definitely blows away the Microsoft version of notepad. I've been using Windows regularly since Windows 3.11 and I have to say Gedit is everything Microsoft Notepad should be. Notepad hasn't changed much in 20 years, and I never understood why.

So why am I raving about a program that's comparable to what might be considered the most boring pre-packaged software program ever developed. Because to me text editors are extremely useful. I know html almost by heart, I code in Notepad, and find myself using it often. One of the biggest issues I always had with it was no spell check. I'm an idiot when it comes to spelling , and rely heavily on spell check. It would also be nice to have some highlights in the code. Gedit does !

Last night I started coding out a website. I loaded Gedit in KDE and started typing away. I saved the file as html and to my surprise Gedit automatically highlighted all the code. Great feature when your looking for errors in your code. Then I got real excited and thought maybe there's a spell checker, and sure enough, I clicked on tools, scrolled down, and OMFG a spell checker. I must say, I was in nerd heaven !

After this discovery, I clicked on File/New to create another page, and OMFG again, the page loaded in a new tab. Now I could cut and paste back and forth between the template design. Maybe I'm a little over excited about a text editor, but Gedit is awesome. To me this program alone is worth the price of admission.

No comments:

Post a Comment